Free Printable USGS PDF TOPO! Maps
A quick and easy way to download and print any USGS 7.5 minute topographic quad
National Geographic is allowing everyone to easily download any USGS 7.5 minute topo map in the continental U.S. as a multi-page PDF that can be printed on letter size paper on any printer. These are the same topographic maps that were published by the U.S. Geological Survey for decades, with nice additional features from our much-loved, but discontinued TOPO! software product, including:
- Page 1 is an index map showing each of the printable quarter-quad maps in their broader context
- Pages 2-5 are the topo quarter-quads, sized and scaled to print on US-letter size paper
- We've added hillshading to help visualize the topography
NOTE: Since the USGS stopped updating their printed topos decades ago, some of these maps do not accurately reflect the current landscape. For the most detailed and up-to-date maps of popular outdoor recreation areas, we recommend our Trails Illustrated maps.
- Zoom into your area of interest or use the search box to search by quad name or place name. Red marker icons will appear at the center of each USGS 7.5 minute quad. (Tip: Shift-click and drag a box to quickly zoom in to a local area)
- Click on the red marker to see the quad name and download the multi-page PDF file.
- In popular outdoor areas, you'll also see yellow polygons with green outlines, which are the footprints of National Geographic's Trails Illustrated maps. TI maps are based on the USGS quads but are updated and have much more accurate and complete outdoor recreation information, including trails, campgrounds, water sources, points of interest, etc. Every Trails Illustrated map is printed on "Backcountry Tough" waterproof, tear-resistant paper. Click on the TI footprint to go to its product page and order it online or at your favorite outdoor retailer.
*Please note: 0.5% of the quads have not been processed yet. These quads will appear as originally published by USGS.