• Waterproof • Tear-Resistant • Topographic Map
National Geographic's Trails Illustrated map of Allegheny South is a two-sided, waterproof, topographic trail map designed to meet the needs of outdoor enthusiasts with unmatched durability and detail. This map was created in cooperation with local land management agencies and is loaded with valuable recreation information for relaxing day trips and overnight campers alike. Trails and major roads are clearly distinguished. Places of interest, including natural features, popular landmarks, and infrastructure are labeled and easy to find. Boundaries for park lands, wilderness, and protected areas are color coded and easy to discern. The area's unique terrain is the map's core feature, with detailed elevation contours, shaded relief, vegetation, and water features.
The Allegheny National Forest, Pennsylvania's only National Forest, is approximately 517,000 acres in the northwestern corner of the State. About 463,000 acres are forested, 42,000 acres are non-forest, and 11,000 acres are covered by water. The Allegheny National Forest has a rich variety of outdoor activities for every season of the year. There are over 600 campsites, six boat launches, six canoe access sites, two nationally-designated wilderness areas and many miles of hiking, snowmobiling and ATV trails, as well as two areas with groomed cross country ski trails.
This map focuses on the southern portion of the forest, from the old-growth forest of the Tionesta Scenic Area to the Elk State Park. Flip over to the backside for the southwestern regions of Hickory Creek Wilderness and Oil Creek State Park.
The Allegheny South map is designed and printed in the United States on durable synthetic paper, making it waterproof, tear-resistant, and trail tough -- capable of going anywhere you do. The map is two-sided, and is folded to a packable size of 4.25" x 9.25"; unfolded size is 26" x 38".
• Waterproof and tear-resistant
• Updated regularly
• Designed and printed in the U.S.A.
• Detailed road network, including designations for off-highway roads
• Clearly marked trails for hiking, snowmobiling, horseback riding, skiing and more
• Detailed topography with shaded relief and clearly defined, color-coded boundaries for parks, forest, wilderness areas, and wildlife management
• Hundreds of places-of-interest, including campgrounds, information centers, trailheads, viewpoints, boat launches, fishing access points, and specialty content unique to each area
• UTM and Latitude/Longitude coordinate grid, as well as selected waypoints, and a scale bar for easy and accurate navigation.
All National Geographic trail maps contain helpful information on local regulations, safety, important contact information, and park interpretive content.
Net proceeds from the sale of this map go to support the nonprofit mission of the National Geographic Society.